Gamma Chapter Inc. History
In 1946 when discriminatory practices in society and the nursing profession precluded black nurses from gaining full professional status and forming collegial relationships in professions, sixteen futuristic thinking graduates of Provident Hospital decided they wanted to provide a sense of belonging to a valued profession. They sought to create an organization that would provide fellowship with fellow registered nurse colleagues, thus promoting the growth and development of Blacks in nursing.
In March 1946, sixteen nurses met to form the Gamma Chapter of Chi Eta Phi Sorority, Inc. at the Provident Hospital in Baltimore, MD. On April 26, 1946, the Chapter was formally organized and charted. Since that time the Chapter has grown in membership and outreach community projects.
The Chapter has been quite active with programs and projects that support the community and the nursing profession. Consumer education programs focus on cancer, awareness, prostate, colon, and specifically breast cancer; blood pressure and diabetes screening, cholesterol, osteoporosis, glaucoma education, and other health education topics. The Coleman Fund is another special project. It provided financial support for eyeglasses for underprivileged children in Baltimore City.
The Chapter provided scholarships and mentoring services, which are important in the retention of nursing students. Gamma Chapter supports other professional organizations. Gamma Chapter has been an Agency Member of the Maryland League for Nursing since 1972.